Peer Mentor Program
TPP’s Peer Mentor Program is a way for youth who have successfully graduated from the program to remain connected with the program, give back to the TPP community, and receive continued assistance while transitioning from Winchester Greens to independent housing.
All TPP youth who graduate from the program and move onto Phase 2, as well as all TPP Alumni.
What’s Phase 2?
Phase 2 is 1 year optional program component that allows graduated TPP youth, to receive continued monthly subsidies for their ongoing assistance and participation with remaining TPP youth.
Youth in Phase 2 have transitioned to their own independent housing and no longer receive TPP services, however, may receive a monthly subsidy to help offset the cost of things such as utilities, rent, etc. Phase 2 youth act as peer mentors, and can remain involved in numerous ways which are outlined below.
Ways to be a peer mentor
- Be a part of panel interviews for new program applicants
- Assistance with move-in and orientation
- Help moving new youth’s belongings
- Tour of neighborhood and amenities (show new youth designated visitor parking, go over trash schedule/procedure, etc)
- Walking new client to leasing office and assistance with parking decal
- Hold open “Office hours” for Phase 1 youth
- Assistance with crisis management and follow up with youth in crisis as needed
- Participation in speaking engagements (fundraising/advocacy/awareness)
- Storage assistance (help with moving larger items between apartments or organizing storage units)
- Provide a networking opportunity, job (or job shadowing) opportunity or internship opportunity to a Phase 1 youth
- Other ideas are welcome!
How long can I be a peer mentor?
While youth are only eligible to receive subsidies for one year, there is no limit to the length of time a graduate (alumni) may remain connected with TPP.
Do I have to participate in Phase 2 to be an alumni and stay connected?
Nope! You just need to complete Phase 1 successfully
What are other benefits to remaining connected to TPP once I graduate?
- Emergency financial assistance once per year for up to two years
- Annual reminders about important renewals such as Medicaid (based on your specific renewal month), FAFSA, etc.
- Receive healthcare information and healthcare options 6 months prior to Medicaid case ending at age 26
- Receive important policy changes that will affect you as a foster care alumni, as well as changes to assistance programs such as Medicaid & TANF
- Receive updates about important community resources, voting information, paid and unpaid advocacy, outreach and public speaking opportunities
- Receive invitations to youth driven events
- Remain a part of the growing TPP family!
- Phase 2 youth must participate in a minimum of 3 peer mentor tasks per participatory year to receive subsidy
- If Phase 2 youth has not participated in at least one peer mentor activity within the first 6 months of participation, they will not qualify to receive an additional 6 months of rent subsidies.
- Rent subsidies must be paid directly to landlord or utility company unless otherwise authorized by Program Manager
Please reach out to your case manager if you are interested or if you have questions about the peer mentor program!
(804) 353-0191 ext 150 | (804) 317-6667 | firstname.lastname@example.org